July is National Hot Dog Month! We figure pairing hot dogs with hamburgers would be the natural thing to do! We have 40+ recipes for you for #SundaySupper. Thank you to Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting today’s event!
I remember when I was a kid my mom would sometimes make sliced Oscar Mayer weiners sauteed and coated with a sweet salty sticky sauce. As with any other dish, it was served alongside rice. It was such a treat since she didn’t prepare it that often. Looking back, I now realize that it was her ‘I don’t want to cook’ meals. I’ve made the same dish a couple of times for my kids. Some days it is well received, other days it is left untouched. Apparently, it doesn’t hold the same appeal for them as it did for me. Kids! What do they know?!
I have rolled up the plain Jane hot dog without the sauce and my kids loved it. I know that this hot dog maki is a ‘thing’ so I thought I’d roll up the saucy hot dogs to make things interesting. It’s painfully simple, but fun to eat. If you ever had Spam musubis, then this is for you!
If you can find extra-long hot dogs, they will fit the full width of the nori. Like the ones I Also if you don’t have furikake, you can substitute roasted sesame seeds. Furikake is a Japanese rice seasoning that is made up of various seasonings and there are difference varieties. The one I use here contains, seaweed, bonito flakes, and sesame seeds.
Scroll down to watch the video below to see how you can put it all together!
- Cooking oil
- 4 hot dogs, extra long if you can find them
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 sheets nori (dried seaweed sheets)
- Approx. 4 cups cooked sushi rice
- Furikake (Japanese rice seasoning) or sesame seeds
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hot dogs and cook until they start to brown.
- Add the soy sauce, mirin, and brown sugar to the pan. Cook until reduced to half. Take off the heat.
- Lay a sheet of nori on a sushi rolling mat, Spread out a cup of rice evenly over the sheet. Take a spoonful of the reduced sauce from the pan and spread it across at the quarter mark of the sheet closer to you.
- Sprinkle a light layer of furikake on the rice. Lay the hot dog over the same spot as the sauce.
- Carefully roll and tuck the edge closest to you over the hot dog. Repeat until you've reached the other end. Repeat for the rest of the hot dogs.
- Cut the roll into 8 equal rounds. Before serving, brush each slice with the sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds to garnish.
See what the rest of the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are bringing to the table!
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.