Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month?
The humble grilled cheese sandwich has been elevated and has crossed culinary boundaries. It seems that one could essentially have a grilled cheese sandwich for every meal of the day and every course of a meal. Here’s a Brie and Blueberry Waffle Grilled Cheese to start off the day!
How about having grilled cheese as an appetizer? Mini grilled cheese with tomato soup! Almost too precious to eat! Or simply make the grilled cheese a garnish for tomato soup with mini grilled cheese croutons.
Then there’s grilled cheese for dessert. I’ve been thinking about this luscious Strawberry Mascarpone Grilled Cheese sandwich every since it was posted on the interwebs last year.
Last year I honored National Grilled Cheese Month with a Ramen Grilled Cheese; a little delicacy I indulge in every now and then.
I’ve been wanting to make Ina Garten’s French Onion and Fennel Soup for the longest time so guess what I made this year for National Grilled Cheese Month? You got it! French Onion and Fennel Grilled Cheese Sandwich! If you’re looking for a quick on-the-go sandwich, then move along. This sandwich is perfect for a leisurely lunch or better yet, for a relaxing sit-down dinner.
Notes: The onion mixture yields enough to make two very large sandwiches. I would try to use slices from a sourdough boule which is much larger than your typical slice of sandwich bread. Pair this sandwich with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc or a Pinot Noir and you’ve got yourself a great meal!
- 2 Tablespoons + 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1 pound Spanish onion, halved and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 pound fennel, tops and cores removed, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ½ cup Cognac or brandy
- ¼ cup white wine, something like a Sauvignon Blanc
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, cut in ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 cup of shredded gruyère cheese
- In a medium-size skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and fennel and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions and fennel turn a golden brown. Set aside.
- While the onions are still hot. Heat 1½ tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, heat one side of the bread slices for about 1 minute until a light golden brown. Flip both slices, spread ¼ cup of cheese onto each slice of bread.
- Once the cheese starts to warm up, spoon half the onion mixture onto one slice of bread. Carefully top the stack with the other slice of bread. Give it a gentle press and transfer to a plate.
- Repeat from step 2 for the second sandwich.
Yesterday, the Sunday Supper crew shared their grilled cheese recipes and wine pairings. Check out their culinary creations for National Grilled Cheese Month!
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Berry Chocolate Panini Sandwich with Wine Reduction Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cafe Zinfandel Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by In The Kitchen With KP
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Cheese & Bison Sandwiches by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Goat Cheese w/ Tomatoes & Tarragon on Olive Bread by girlichef
- Grilled Mascarpone on Chocolate Cherry Bread with Blackberry Cabernet Compote by Desserts Required
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood