This post – Eggs in Hell (Poached Eggs and Kimchi) – is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone. We have a great #BrunchWeek giveaway, scroll down to enter!
H-E-double hockey sticks! This dish is for my spicy fiends; for lovers of heat; and for all the kimchi fans! Need something to wake you up? Serve this up and it’ll have everyone jumpin’!
Make sure you use aged kimchi because you want it funky and tangy for maximum flavor. And the tuna adds a ton of flavor and enhances the umami of the dish. Add eggs and you have brunch! I finished off the dish with some grated sharp cheddar by Cabot Cheese because I couldn’t resist.
- Cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Korean green chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cabbage kimchi
- 1 can (5 oz.) tuna packed in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon gochukaru (Korean red pepper powder)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-4 large eggs
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced
- Grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a skillet, over medium-high heat, add a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil. Add garlic, onions, and half the amount of the green chili peppers. Cook until the onions start getting soft.
- Add the kimchi, tuna, red pepper powder, and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. If the mixture gets too dry, add about ¼ cup water. Uncover the skillet for the last 5 minutes.
- Carefully crack each egg over the kimchi mixture so that it is evenly distributed. Cover and let cook until the yolks are just set, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the sliced green onions and the remaining green chili pepper.
- Serve immediately. And if you're up for it, sprinkle a little grated cheese!
Forty Bloggers from around the North America will showcase their best brunch dishes! Our amazing Sponsors have donated some great prizes for the #BrunchWeek giveaway. Thank you so much, Sponsors, for your generosity. Click here to enter the giveaway!
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Blackberry Mint Bellinis from Sweet Beginnings
Cardamom Rose Cocktail from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Lemon & Blueberry Mocktail from Girl Abroad
Mango Pina Colada from The Spiffy Cookie
Sparkling Mojito Lime Rickies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Cheesy Asparagus Bacon Quiche from The Nifty Foodie
Creamed Asparagus Omelet from Wholistic Woman
Eggs in Hell from kimchi MOM
Asparagus and Cheddar Frittata from My Catholic Kitchen
Spring Veggie Quiche from A Day in the Life on the Farm
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
Apple Cheddar Cream Cheese Danish from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Apple Cinnamon Bread from It Bakes Me Happy
Gluten Free Apple Waffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
Banana Bread Buttermilk Pancakes from Love and Confections
Blackberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls from Pink Cake Plate
Brown Sugar Poptarts from Big Bear’s Wife
Creme Brulee French Toast from The Barbee Housewife
Cherry Almond Coffee Cake from The Chef Next Door
Cheddar Dinner Rolls from Family Around the Table
Cinnamon Apple Danish from Nik Snacks
Garlic and Herb Pull Apart Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake from Books n’ Cooks
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Country Ham Biscuits with Peach Mustard from Palatable Pastime
Ham, Apple and Cheddar Melts from Cookaholic Wife
Shaved Asparagus, Herb Cream Cheese, and Smoked Salmon Pizza from Sarcastic Cooking
Yumbo Sliders from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Rhubarb Crunch from Cooking with Carlee
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Nielsen-Massey, Rainier Fruit, and Michigan Asparagus for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.