I love the combination of the pungent and spicy Thai curry flavors with beef. The beef flavors add yet another dimension to the cacophony of flavors in a Thai curry. A while ago, I made a beef and butternut squash red Thai curry for a dinner party. And I have to admit, it was plate-lickin’ good! With that screaming red stew lingering in mind, I forged ahead with this Thai red curry meatball recipe. It took a couple of tries, but I finally got it where each bite was a little flavor bomb that left you craving for more. And you have to have the sauce – one cannot be without the other.
Serve these Thai red curry meatballs on a bed of cilantro rice, with a bowl of rice noodles, or in a hoagie and don’t forget the sauce! Sprinkle some cilantro for a little freshness and you’re on your way to a meal you’re never forget.
- For the meatballs:
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- ½ small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger root
- 2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound ground beef (90/10 ratio of beef to fat)
- For the sauce:
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ¼ cup red Thai curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 14-ounce can of coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4-5 ounces fresh spinach or baby kale
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of oil over medium meat. Add the scallions, and red bell pepper and cook until the scallions turn a vibrant green, about 1-2 minutes. Spoon into a large mixing bowl. Don't put away the skillet just yet.
- In the same large mixing bowl, add the garlic, ginger, red curry paste, bread crumbs, cilantro, basil, and egg. Mix to combine. Then add the ground beef, black pepper, and salt. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to thoroughly mix all the ingredients. Try not to overwork the meat.
- Spoon out a couple of tablespoons of beef mixture and form into a 1-inch meatball and place on a large plate or baking sheet. Continue forming meatballs with the remaining beef mixture. You will have about 28-30 meatballs.
- In the previously used skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Brown the meatballs on all sides and placed browned meatballs on a clean plate. Do not overcrowd the skillet and work in batches until all the meatballs are browned. They do not have to be cooked through at this point.
- To the skillet, add the the garlic, ginger, red curry paste, ¼ cup of the coconut milk and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring the mixture to combine. Add the remaining coconut milk, chicken broth, and fish sauce. Bring sauce to a simmer. If you'd like a thinner sauce, add about ¼-1/2 cup more chicken broth.
- Gently place the meatballs into the sauce. Cover and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in the greens and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve immediately over basmati rice, noodles, or on a hoagie roll.
#SundaySupper has gone crazy for meatballs and we’ve got about 50 recipes for your inspiration – from appetizers to dessert! A big thank you to Sue Slusser Lau of A Palatable Pastime for hosting today’s event!
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Ranch Stroganoff from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement