I first met Isabel online in June 2012. I was still new to Twitter so I was still a little leery of the whole social media world, but I spotted a post with the intriguing hashtag #SundaySupper. I immediately had to hunt down the source of this campaign. I emailed Isabel to be included in this seemingly exclusive yet not-so-exclusive club. I thought I had to jump through hoops, provide every Google Analytic number, and provide a copy of my birth certificate, but her response was a simple “I would love to have you join!”
I have been involved with Sunday Supper since then either participating in Sunday events or helping the group in a pinch with whatever they needed. Now a mere 3 years later, I’m working for Sunday Supper doing what I love which is graphic design and working with some awesomely dynamic people. Thank you Isabel! And for your birthday, I’m sharing my recipe for Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes. Your love for chorizo is equivalent to my obsession for kimchi! I know you haven’t tried kimchi yet, but now I’m challenging you to try it before the end of this year!
Dear Isabel, I admire your fearlessness, vision, and tenacity. I know your lovely family will treat you well on your birthday and I hope you take some time off to indulge! Have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
- 1 lb. Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 medium-sized potatoes)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ lb. chorizo sausage
- ½ cup cabbage kimchi, drained and chopped finely
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon white flour
- Cooking oil
- Sour Cream to serve (optional)
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add cubed potatoes and water to just cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, lower heat to medium-high, and maintain a high simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes until smooth with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove the casing from the sausage. Brown the sausage in a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. With a slotted spoon, scoop the sausage and add to the potatoes.
- Before you add the chopped kimchi, take a paper towel and give the kimchi a gentle squeeze or pat to remove excess liquid. Finally, add the kimchi to the potatoes. An important note on the kimchi - use kimchi that is really tangy which means kimchi that has been around for a few weeks...refrigerated, of course.
- Fold in the eggs and flour. Mix to combine the mixture evenly.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon about a ¼ cup of the potato mixture while gently flattening it. Cook both sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Drain excess oil on paper towels. Work in batches.
- Serve as-is or with a dollop of sour cream.
Join me in celebrating Isabel’s Birthday with all the delicious food and drinks her #SundaySupper family prepared!
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma’s Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
Birthday Main Courses:
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian