We are officially in the thick of grilling season and today Sunday Supper is partnered up with Gallo Family Vineyards to feature some delectable recipes for the grill.
During the summer, we love to invite a few friends over and fire up the grill. It’s easy, casual, and food just tastes better when dining al fresco! Personally, it’s also an opportunity to try new recipes for grilled meats. A friend of mine served Tandoori-style lamb at her last gathering and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. I asked for the recipe and she told me, “we mixed a bottle of special sauce with some yogurt and marinated the lamb overnight.” Which translates to – I gotta figure this out on my own. I opted for lamb rib chops which grill quickly and are easy to eat. As much as we love the grill, no one wants to be chained to it during a party!
At my household, it is also requisite to have a cocktail or drink while grilling AND while dining. Whether it’s for a party of 12 or just our family of 4, a cool drink must always be on hand. While I love red wines, I find it a little heavy for the warmer weather. My dilemma with the lamb was that I wanted something with a little body, but something chilled to keep things cool. The Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot worked perfectly for this Red Wine Cocktail that I’ve paired with the lamb chops. The chilled fruitiness makes this a nice summer cocktail!
If red wine doesn’t fancy you, try the Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Wine Blend as a refreshing light-bodied alternative. While Sunday Supper is featuring a whole slew of recipes for the grill today, check out Gallo Family Vineyards grilling recipes on their site, like their recipe for Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Shrimp. And while you’re there, read their suggestions for wine and BBQ pairings.
Cheers, stay cool, and happy grilling!
- 2½ - 3 pounds lamb rib chops (about an inch thick cut)
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¾ inch thick knob of ginger root, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 8 ounces plain yogurt (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- In a blender or food processor add onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, salt, and lemon juice, and puree.
- In a large shallow non-reactive pan or a large food storage bag, mix the yogurt, garam masala, and the onion mixture. Add the lamb chops and make sure to thoroughly coat the chops. Add more yogurt if needed. Seal or cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Fire up the grill! If you are able, lower the temperature of one half the grill to medium while keeping the other half on high. For medium rare lamb chops: first cook the chops over medium heat and cover with an aluminum pan.
- Once the internal temperature reaches 120 degrees F, transfer the chops to the higher heat and sear them on each side. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees F. For more detailed description on this grilling technique, click here.
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed orange juice (about half a small orange)
- ½ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces sparkling water
- 1 ounce Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the bourbon, juice, and simple syrup. Shake it vigorously until the outside of the shaker becomes frosty. Strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with ice. Add a splash of sparkling water. Gently pour the merlot over the back of the spoon held just about the drink’s surface. This will ensure a very pretty, but refreshing drink! Garnish with a slice of orange.
To find a store that carries Gallo Family Vineyards wines near you, check out our Where to Buy Tool. To help you celebrate, we’re also offering $1 off coupon (available in select states).
If you’d like to learn more about Gallo Family Vineyards wines, click here. You can also “like” them on Facebook, follow them on Twitter and Instagram, and you can subscribe to their videos on YouTube.
And don’t forget… Gallo Family Vineyards want you to save those corks to help end senior hunger. For the 5th year, Every Cork Counts program invites Americans to send back their corks to benefit the Meals On Wheels Association of America.
Fire up the grill! Here’s what the rest of the Sunday Supper crew is cooking up!
- Grilled Brie with Tropical Fruit Compote by girlichef
- Grilled Peach Bruschetta by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Salads and Sides:
- Grilled Caesar Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Mushrooms with Merlot Reduction by The Messy Baker
- Asian Pork Lettuce Cups by Magnolia Days
- BBQ Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Cheddar Merlot Burgers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Chicken with Blueberry-Merlot Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Hawaiian Sea Salt Tuna Nuggets by Family Foodie
- Grilled Honey Lime Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Pork Chops with a Strawberry Jam Glaze by Savvy Eats
- Grilled Ribeye with Mushroom Merlot Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers with a Sweet White Blend Marinade by Country Girl in the Village
- Merlot Marinated Flank Steak with Spicy Chimichurri by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Merlot Burger by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Shish Kabobs in Red Wine Rosemary Marinade by The Dinner-Mom
- Tandoori-style Lamb Chops by kimchi MOM
- Grilled Apple Crisp by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone by Desserts Required
- Vanilla Ice Cream with Grilled Peaches by Hip Foodie Mom
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.