We have pizza at least once a week in our household. We either make simple cheese pizzas or pick up a brick oven pizza from the local pizzeria. Either way, the pizza is a pretty perfect dish. Dress it up, dress it down, eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between. And this week, we are featuring pizzas everyday!
When I first started blogging several years ago, my first foray into Korean-inspired dishes was a recipe for kimchi pizza. I cringe a bit when I look back, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere, right? I’ve been wanting to revisit this recipe to simplify it, but also make the flavors bolder. The kochujang (red pepper paste) sauce in this recipe is spicy, tangy, and addictive…it really makes the pizza!
- ¼ cup kochujang (Korean spicy red pepper paste)
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound of your favorite pizza dough, brought to room temperature
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped cabbage kimchi, drained
- 8 to12 ounces pork belly, thinly sliced
- 1 to 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 stalks of scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Put the oven rack in the upper middle position, put a pizza stone on it and preheat to 500 degrees F.
- To make the sauce, mix the kochujang, garlic, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. The consistency should not be too thick, but thin enough to spread easily on the crust.
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough out until it is less than ¼″ thick. Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a pizza peel, lightly flour the sheet, and lay the dough on top. Use a spoon to spread the sauce on the dough. Top with chopped kimchi, sliced pork belly, and mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone and bake until the crust is golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with scallions, slice and enjoy!
This recipe is part of 2014 #PizzaWeek, a week-long blogging event celebrating cheese, carbs, and cheese on top of carbs. Check out these other pizzas featured for #PizzaWeek!
Raspberry Brie Dessert Pizza from Completely Delicious
Kale and Artichoke Pizza with Garlic Ricotta from The Corner Kitchen
Shrimp and Grits Naan Pizza from Climbing Grier Mountian
Caramelized Onion and Fennel Pizza from Girl Versus Dough
Spinach Artichoke Pizza from The Vintage Mixer
And check out Nosh On It for the big Pizza Week introduction
Breakfast Pizza from Very Culinary
Carne Asada Pizza from Mountain Mama Cooks
Gluten Free Quinoa Pizza with Meyer Lemon, Goat Cheese and Basil from Café Johnsonia
Roasted Veggie Pizza from Dine & Dish
Greek-za Mediterranean Pizza from The Kitchen Prep
Mini Cauliflower Pizza from The Fitchen