It’s the cheesiest #SundaySupper yet! The theme this week is Cheese, Cakes & Cheesecakes hosted by Angie at Big Bear’s Wife. We are bringing forth cheesy savory and sweet recipes to the table.
The past couple of years I’ve been working on finding recipes for my favorite Indian dishes. The motivation is that good Indian food is nowhere near me (and by “nowhere near me” I mean, down the street from me) and I crave it too often to be ordering from this one decent place that is not so economically priced. So I’ve been hunting down recipes, harassing friends for family recipes, and subjecting my husband to kitchen experiments (note: he is a willing test subject). So far I’ve got my recipes for bengan bharta (roasted eggplant stew), chana masala (chickpea curry), palak paneer (spinach stew with paneer), and now, paneer tikka masala (paneer curry), thanks to Vijay Nathan at NoshOnIt who recently did a guest post on Little Ferraro Kitchen.
In my previous post, I show you how to make homemade paneer - an easy cheesy recipe. If you have easy access to good paneer, then you’re luckier than I am. Either way, you are good to go for this recipe. But if you’re really in a pinch, Vijay suggests substituting extra firm tofu in place of paneer. I’ve tried it both ways and it’s delicious either way, but I definitely prefer the paneer!
By the way, I am still working on a rogan josh (spiced lamb stew) recipe…
Paneer Tikka Masala
Adapted from Vijay Nathan’s recipe
Yields about 4 servings.
1/2-inch thick slice of ginger, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
3 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 Tablespoon coriander powder
1 Tablespoon tandoori masala seasoning powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
Chopped cilantro and lime
Cooked basmati rice or naan (flat bread) to serve
1 – In a medium-sized bowl, combine the paneer, jalapeno pepper, yogurt, turmeric, tandoori powder, lime juice, and cooking oil. Set aside in the refrigerator and let it marinate for about an hour.
2 – After the paneer has marinated, heat a skillet over medium high heat and add a couple of teaspoons of cooking oil. Add your paneer and let cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes then flip and continue cooking until browned on all sides. Set aside.
3 – In a blender or food processor, purée the ginger, garlic and tomatoes until smooth. Set aside.
4 – In a large skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil over medium high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook until fragrant.
5 – Add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook until lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes.
6 – Add coriander powder, tandoori masala seasoning powder, and turmeric. Cook until dark brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Make sure to coat the onions evenly with the spices.
7 – Add the tomato puree mixture to the skillet, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
8 – Lower heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes. Stirring periodically.
9 – Add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water until you reach the desired consistency for your sauce. Stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
10 – Add the garam masala, cooked paneer, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
11 – Take the pan off the heat, stir in the heavy cream.
12 – For seasoning, add cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Salt to taste if necessary.
13 – Serve hot with rice or naan.
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?