Thursday Three – I’m Back!!

by Amy Kim on September 13, 2012 · 16 comments

That was quite a break! Didja miss me? Well, here are a few things that I’ve been  obsessed about the past several weeks!

1 – Back to School!

We are halfway through our first full week of school! The kids love being back and are making new friends pretty quickly. I’m so thankful to have some order back in our lives and a few hours of “me time” during the day. But it’s also back to frantic mornings of making breakfast and packing lunches. After lamenting about my failure with meal planning last year, I vowed to be more disciplined about it in my “Back to School” special with #SundaySupper which, by the way, featured over 50 recipes that could be completed in less than 30 minutes. If you’ve never heard of #SundaySupper, we are “a group of bloggers who are on a mission to bring back Sunday supper around the family table in every home”. We feature a different theme every Sunday and everyone is welcome join our live chat every Sunday at 7 p.m. EST.

2 – Kaenip (perilla leaves)

This bitter green always reminds me of summer! They are also know as perilla leaves, sesame leaves, and its Japanese cousin is called shiso. Its bitter and peppery flavors are truly unique and intense. It can be steamed, sauteed, pickled, or fried. They peaked last month, but you can find them in your local Korean market year-round. Check out these recipes on my site…

Perilla Pancakes

Kaenip Kimchi (yum!)

3 – Goodbye Migraines!

So about a couple of months ago I decided to reduce my carbohydrate intake mostly for “weight maintenance”. This carb reduction mostly entailed no bread, no rice, and no pasta. Sounds like hell, doesn’t it? The last time I was on this diet was when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first child. I was able to control my blood sugar and lost so much weight! Yes, I actually lost weight while I was pregnant! Anyway, I loosely followed what I call my “diabetes low carb diet” and I admit I feel much better – less bloated and “healthier”. But an expected side effect was that I was no longer having migraines! I couldn’t believe it! After years of stabbing pain behind my eyeballs, they just stopped! I’m not sure if I was experiencing less blood sugar fluctuations, or if I was or have become gluten-intolerant. Either way, I’m pretty happy about it and sticking with this low carb diet! (Note: I’m not recommending fellow migraine sufferers to go on this diet without consulting a physician, but just letting you know it worked for me!)

By the way, it’s good to be back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

1 jane September 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM

low carb is SO HARD but the benefits really can’t be beat. i loooove kaenip. we had it growing in my backyard growing up and it always reminds me of my halmuni.

2 kimchi_mom September 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM

are you ‘low carbing’ it also? is paleo essentially low carb? i guess i don’t know much about it, but it seems a lot of my recipes are good for the paleo diet judging from the boards it gets pinned to.

3 Sarah September 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Glad to hear that your migraines are nothing. Nothing more debilatating than a migraine. I did miss you! But it’s so hard to find the balance between work, blogging and family. You are doing a great job. It’s all about quality not quanitity!

4 Sarah September 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

oy I type faster than I think. I meant Glad to hear your migraines are better. You know what I meant!

5 kimchi_mom September 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM

yup…got it! this is our first week of school and i’m completely wiped out! my part-time job feels like a full-time job right now!

6 Alice Choi September 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hi! I love this post! How old are your kids? My oldest just started kindergarten last week. Wow, no bread, rice or pasta at all? Well, i’m so glad that it has helped you. That’s awesome! by the way, I’m so glad we’ve connected and I’ve found your blog! :)

7 kimchi_mom September 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Thanks Alice! Yes, it’s been fun connecting with you over the interwebs! And I just saw that you joined #SundaySupper…so awesome! By the way, both my kids are still in preschool.

8 Judy September 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Hi Amy, We are in synch… Back to school week is always busy. The older kid started last week and my bebe started nursery school today. I too had borderline GD and try to watch my sweets, but I’m not a lover of bread or pasta. :) That’s awesome you got rid of your migraines! I have a headache now – carb related?!? AND since Monday I’ve been drying some shiso leaves – an odd project my Mom suggested. Have a great weekend!

9 kimchi_mom September 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hi Judy! what do you do with shiso leaves? are you going to make some sort of furikake? (yum) will that be a future post? :-)

10 Judy September 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

As a matter of fact, YES, furikake! :) I figured you would know. But my Mom’s friend taught her to add it to pre-made stuff, but I told my mom it will taste better making it from scratch. :) Hope you and your family have a fabulous weekend!

11 Nancy September 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM

So glad you’re back and that your migraines are gone (knock on wood – hopefully they won’t return!). I’ve always toyed with the idea of cutting back on carbs because I know that I’d be a lot healthier with less but I love them so damn much! :(

12 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM

So far so good with the migraines! It’s so worth it! :-)

13 Ann Mah September 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Welcome back! Thanks for the info about the perilla leaves — a friend in Paris talked about sesame leaves and I didn’t realize they were the same thing. Excited to check out your recipes!

14 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM

it’s one of my favorite bitter greens! I hope you give it a try!

15 Laura | Family Spice September 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Welcome back! I get migraines, too, so I totally understand your glee about them being gone. Mine are triggered by my monthly cycle or sleep deprivation. Being woken up by kids at odd hours is totally normal in our house!

16 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:39 AM

My migraines were monthly so I was surprised that my diet affected them. I’m curious if the gluten is the culprit…i’m going to experiment and bring back rice into my diet and see what happens.