Thursday Three – Autumn, how I love thee!

by Amy Kim on September 20, 2012 · 11 comments

The weather has been amazing here in the Northeast! Here are three things I’m obsessed about this week!

1 – Fun with Dinner

There is this cool interactive tool on the website of Fine Cooking where you can choose the ingredients you want or have for a certain recipe and they create the recipe with the amount and instructions. You may find it rudimentary, but it’s pretty fun to play with! I’ve tried the tool for meatloaf and mac ‘n cheese and it turned out pretty tasty!

By the way, Fine Cooking is a great food magazine filled with recipes that are doable for beginners and interesting enough for any avid home cooks. The instructional photos that accompany some recipes are a big plus! I find that the magazine is a cross between Cook’s Illustrated and bon appetit. Super informative, very few ads, a lot of photos, and all about good food. I won a subscription a couple of years ago at Big Summer Potluck, and have been enjoying it ever since. (Disclaimer: FC did not pay me to say this! It’s all my own opinion!)

2 – Pizza a Casa

Mark Bello of Pizza a Casa

Last weekend the family and I took a pizza making class at Pizza a Casa in New York City. At first I thought about not going because I thought, “what more could I possibly learn about pizza?” I decided to go last minute since it was a gorgeous day and I was so glad that I did! It was a 4 hour class led by Mark Bello, founder of Pizza a Casa Pizza School. We started with making the dough, sauce, and eventually baked our own creations. I finally learned how to make a NYC-style thin crust pizza! You know, just like the $2 slices that you buy at any pizza joint in the city!

3 – BibiFresh

A soon-to-be brick and mortar restaurant, BibiFresh is what I’ve been waiting for! I’m so excited! Although this has been a business idea stewing in my head for the past several years (but hey, I’m okay with it!), Marja Vongerichten of  PBS’s Kimchi Chronicles has created a new venture called BibiFresh, a bibimbap bar. They’ve had a couple of pop-ups in the city, but I do hope they make it over to neighboring New Jersey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lawyer Loves Lunch September 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

A pizza making class?!? How cool. Can’t wait until little man is old enough so I can force him to do this kind of stuff with me :)

2 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM

The class was awesome! And yeah, so much easier when the tots get older, but so many more different challenges! Never a dull moment!

3 Sarah September 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Pizza class with family sounds like so much fun! I’m hoping bibigo opens a location in Chicago too!

4 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM

The class was so fun and I was so glad I went!I’m surprised a restaurant like Bibigo didn’t open sooner in the states.

5 Alice Choi September 21, 2012 at 2:55 AM

OMG, I love Marja Vongerichten and her Kimchi Chronicles cookbook! Wow, a bibimbap bar? so cool!!! My dad is in the restaurant business. . damn, he should of thought of that one!

6 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Marja is awesome…I briefly met her and her hubby JG at their Kimchi Chronicles launch party (it was more like I was stalking them…). They were so nice and down to earth. Have you cooked anything from her cookbook? I have the book, but haven’t made anything from it yet!!

7 Ann Mah September 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM

A bibimbop bar is GENIUS. I hope this spreads further than New York and New Jersey! :)

8 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Bibim bap will take over the world! :-D

9 A_Kiasi September 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I’m going to try the interactive tool that you wrote about. It sounds quite useful. Also, you’ve inspired me to take one of the local cooking classes. I’ve been waiting around for the “perfect” class taught by a notable Washington, D.C. chef, but it would probably great to try something new. Anything new. Great post!

10 kimchi_mom September 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Yeah, I didn’t expect to learn so much from a pizza making class, but I’m so glad I attended! I want to take more classes! And DC must have some great offerings!

11 kalynn October 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM

BiBiFresh will soon makes its way to Jersey! thanks for your support and please follow us on FACEBOOK.